Brantford Power - Engineering Manager
Our client serves approximately 39,300 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the City of Brantford and has been providing electricity distribution since 1935. They are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to their customers while offering the best energy and conservation solutions and superior customer service.
Brantford Power’s strategic focus is on building sustainable communities while making continual improvements and investments across all aspects of its business including employee and community customer responsive customer service; and conservation programs. The utility is wholly owned by the Brantford Energy Corporation.
The Engineering Manager is accountable for the management, operation, and administration of Brantford Power’s Engineering Department. Responsibilities include the planning and design of system access and renewal projects and programs delivered on time and on budget, as well as contributing to the development and implementation of operational improvement initiatives.
This position will direct, develop and enhance the utility’s capital investment program in its electrical distribution network by using decision making models that prioritize risk, value, regulatory requirements, and corporate targets to optimize customer and shareholder value and ensure safe and reliable electricity service.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and People Management
- Promote and participate in the Company’s Health and Safety program through implementing safe work practices, following up on safety incidents and hazard identification and by reinforcing safe work attitudes.
- Lead and support the day-to-day management of technical staff and third party service providers engaged in the designing, planning, and facilitating the distribution network in cooperation with the Operations department.
- Lead change management initiatives to streamline and improve efficiencies regarding business process and system improvements and lead the Engineering department in the implementation of best practices
- Ensure compliance with and revise departmental practices and procedures when needed and communicate changes to employees while adhering to current corporate policies.
- Contribute to the Operations, SCADA and Customer Services departments to support a 24/7 operation to achieve daily work programs, network switching, effective restoration and emergency support to work groups and the public.
- Advise and support the Operations department detailing line and station maintenance requirements for inclusion in operating budgets.
- Manage direct reports including: recruitment, scheduling and performance management in accordance with budgetary objectives, collective agreements and personnel policies. Ensure staff receives the appropriate feedback, training and development to succeed
- Develop and maintain cross-functional relationships to ensure overall success of operational and corporate initiatives.
- Act as a key representative for the utility with stakeholder communications as required and respond promptly to escalated customer or stakeholder concerns
- Keep abreast of industry and regulatory changes; provide analysis on the impact to the utility; ensure compliance for areas of responsibility and provide proactive identification of business development opportunities for the utility and/or its affiliates within regulatory requirements.
- Support and implement the utility’s strategic plan (policies, standards, practices and technology) by assessing emerging technologies, process improvements and industry trends to improve performance and reliability; reduce costs; and introduce efficiency improvements.
- Contribute to the strategic plan for the Engineering department to promote an environment of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Prepare and manage the Engineering Department’s annual business plan and budget. Monitor budget, costs, identify and execute process and improvement opportunities. Act as key contributor to the utility’s Distribution System Plan.
- Support change management initiatives to streamline and improve efficiencies regarding business process and system improvements and lead the Engineering department and other related departments in the implementation of best practices.
- Assist in the annual review of the utility’s Emergency Management Plan and participate in emergency response activities and exercises. As a member of the leadership team for the utility availability for Emergency response may be required.
- Develop and manage the utility’s asset management plan incorporating asset life cycle cost considerations and network designs to support utility strategies and to enhance customer benefits.
- Implement and manage a continuous improvement process for the utility’s system design standards and construction assembly units to ensure Brantford Power’s management system complies with electricity safety regulations O.Reg. 22/04.
- Develop capital works programs and preparation of capital budgets for system access and system renewal activities. Provide key input to the development of general plant activities as they relate to Engineering department software and systems.
- Manage and control the implementation of major projects and programs and administer contracts for capital project works.
- Recommend management and operation improvements by collecting, analyzing and organizing data, operation procedures and maintenance scheduling.
A Professional Engineer with demonstrated growth over 7 years of progressive experience with demonstrated ability in the following competencies:
- Creates a Compelling Future and Inspires Others to Achieve
- Embraces Change and Creative and Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Macro Business Understanding and Strategic Thinking
A thoughtful and technically competent listener and leader, who understands the operations side of an increasingly technically complex industry while recognizing the need to deliver the corporation’s objectives within approved business plans and budgets.
- Professional membership with the PEO in good standing is required.
- Minimum of Certified Engineering Technologist with a limited license in electrical distribution. Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- At minimum of three (3) years of leadership and management experience.
- A commitment to leadership development, employee empowerment, inspiring a shared vision.
- Demonstrated ability to execute strategic plans and successfully implement change.
- Knowledge of regulatory and governmental requirements (OEB Rules and Regulations, ESA, PIPEDA and OHSA, IH&SA Rules, WHMIS).
- Advanced knowledge of technical specifications and standards (CSA, CEA and ESA).
- Superior presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills and flexibility to meet changing needs of the organization.
- Must hold and maintain a valid class G driver’s licence.
- Demonstrated experience in a unionized environment is an asset.
- Experience in a multi-service utility environment particularly with planning, design and managing operating groups an asset.