Community Support Connections Meals on Wheels and More - Executive Director
Are you a dynamic, visionary and entrepreneurial leader who is passionate about community? Collaborative and creative, you have a proven track record in developing exceptionally strong mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships across sectors to address complex systems issues. Strategy is second nature to you. You have earned a reputation for strong personal leadership, influence, transparency, and a wealth of change management experience. You are known for building strong cohesive teams, and ensuring engagement of clients, caregivers and volunteers in the outstanding delivery of programs and services. You approach business with an entrepreneurial mindset driven by innovation, improvement, and a clear commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Community Support Connections – Meals on Wheels and More is a responsive, innovative and growing not for profit organization that provides a range of supports and services to enable people to live at home with independence and dignity in Waterloo Region.
Our dedicated and trained staff leverage the goodwill and generosity of hundreds of volunteers, donors, partners and supporters to coordinate and deliver Meals on Wheels, transportation, exercise, falls prevention, grocery shopping, community dining, friendly visiting, caregiver support, homemaking, home maintenance, yard work and snow removal services, and more, to 7,500 seniors and adults with disabilities in our community.
Our Mission: Enabling people to live at home with independence and dignity.
Our Vision:A community where everyone feels at home – valued, connected, and empowered.
Our Values: Are reflected in our name: Community Support Connections.
Acting with integrity, and committed to excellence, we are Community based – We build strong and lasting relationships with our clients and their caregivers, volunteers, donors, and community partners to foster an environment where people feel they belong and can make a difference. We celebrate individuality and diversity.
We Support: We respect and support our clients’ choices and decisions. We listen. We respond with empathy, caring and compassion, ensuring our neighbours have the support they need to live with independence and dignity.
We Connect: people, ideas and opportunities. We work collaboratively with our partners to ensure equity, accessibility and seamless service delivery by leveraging local strengths, expertise, goodwill and generosity. We ensure our clients and their caregivers are connected to the supports and services they need. We listen. We respond.
With people at the center of everything we do, we focus on engaging and responding, delivering exceptional experiences and building and sustaining capacity. More information about CSC can be found at www.communitysupportconnections.org.
The Executive Director provides leadership, direction and oversight to the overall operations of CSC. S/he provides information and expertise to support the Board of Directors regarding strategy and direction. Working closely with the Board, the Executive Director ensures that CSC is strategically placed for growth, appropriate resources are available and risks are appropriately measured and mitigated.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizational Leadership
- Promotes the mission, vision and values of the agency, both internally and externally
- Champions a culture of responsiveness and innovation
- Provides guidance and direction to the leadership team to develop and implement financial plans, goals and objectives for CSC
- Provides leadership and direction to staff, volunteers, and brokered workers
- Ensures services delivered conform to policies, procedures and standards of CSC
- Maintains positive on-going relations with clients, volunteers, staff, Board, funders, donors, partners, stakeholders and the community at large
- Maintains current knowledge of community resources
- Identifies service gaps and program and organizational development opportunities
- Provides support to, ensures development of and conducts annual performance reviews for Directors and select members of the Expanded Leadership Team
- Ensures engagement of clients, caregivers, volunteers, employees and stakeholders
- Provides overall direction to CSC in the areas of finance, human resources, public relations, organizational development and strategic direction and growth
- Ensures budgets and resource needs are developed and monitored
- Reviews and interprets monthly financial statements and takes appropriate corrective action in response to variances and trends
- Ensures investment portfolio is monitored and managed, making suggestions to the Board regarding investment strategy and reporting on investment performance
- Ensures that operational policies and procedures are developed and implemented; makes recommendations regarding governance, risk management and select other policies to the Board of Directors
- Ensures that human resource plans, goals and objectives for the organization are developed and implemented; and ensures that all human resource practices meet corporate and legislated requirements
- Acts as a key liaison between CSC and other agencies, ensuring that collaborative efforts improve service
- Responsible for encouraging innovation and developing ongoing organizational and sector improvements
- Approves proposals for funding opportunities
- Approves agency public relations activities
Board of Directors and Committees
- Provides updates, reports and annual budgets to the Board of Directors
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Directors for any extraordinary expenditures
- Communicates new or updated program and services to the Board
- Provides board members with orientation and ongoing education in conjunction with the President
- Provides the Board with information and recommendations on risks and potential opportunities
Health & Safety
All managers are responsible for creating a positive safety culture and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace. It is the responsibility of each manager to ensure that employees receive regular training regarding health, safety and environmental (HSE) matters. Each manager is also accountable to ensure that HSE matters are addressed in a timely manner and that compliance with both legislative and corporate requirements are maintained.
Training of Others
- Responsible for ensuring the implementation of a comprehensive training plan to meet the needs of staff/volunteers
- Responsible to provide training to direct reports on job specific requirements and CSC policies and procedures
- Responsible for providing mentorship and coaching to direct reports; enabling staff development
- Develop versatility and cross training opportunities for direct reports to ensure succession potential
Management of Material Resources
- Responsible to balance annual operating budget
- Responsible for all organizational assets, including investments, and has overall responsibility for the organization and its material resources
Management of Information Resources
- Responsible to ensure privacy and confidentiality of all employee, volunteer and client information in accordance with CSC policies and procedures
- Responsible for overall information management and ensuring systems and policies are in place to protect the confidentiality of client and employee information
Management of Finance
- Responsible for CSC operations within approved annual budget
- Responsible for presenting the annual operating budget for approval, reporting financials and making recommendations for changes to the Board of Directors
Management of Key Relationships
- Responsible for liaising with founders and community partners
- Responsible for ensuring preparation of information, reports and presentations for meetings with funders and partners
- Responsible for Identifying system opportunities and working collaboratively with funders and system partners to improve services
- Responsible for reporting to Board on partnership relationships, MOUs, contracts and developments
- External: Funders, Health Sector and Community Partners, Clients and Caregivers
- Internal: Directors and Expanded Leadership Team, Board of Directors, All Staff, Volunteers
- Public Relations: Official Agency Spokesperson (Media, Presentation, and Community Meetings)
- As assigned by the Board of Directors
COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
Formal Education & Training
- A combination of undergraduate and graduate degrees in health care/social services, public health, or a related field with business management, systems design, project management, organizational development, or a related field.
- A clinical background may be beneficial
- Not-for-profit / Voluntary / Charitable Sector Leadership/Management Certifications desirable
- Progressive management experience, demonstrating the ability to:
- conceptualize and provide strategic and operational leadership across the organization,
- balance accountability with emotional intelligence when interacting with staff and volunteers at all levels
- Well-developed and highly effective listening, communication, presentation and persuasive skills, including the ability to receive, process and present both strategic and tactical information to diverse audiences while maintaining effective, collaborative relationships with a myriad of stakeholders
- It is expected that 6-12 months in the position will be required to be fully versed in all aspects of the organization
Core Competencies for all Positions at CSC
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Conflict resolution
- Oral Communication
- Privacy and Confidentiality
- Customer service orientation
Core Competencies Specific to Leadership at CSC
- Strategic thinking
- Influence, collaboration & relationship-building
- Critical thinking
- Social & emotional intelligence•
- Planning & project management
- Risk taking & risk management
- Performance management, talent & succession planning
- Innovation & improvement
To explore this opportunity further, please email your resume (filename: "Last name, First name - CV”), with "CSC Meals on Wheels” in the subject line, in confidence to:
Sarah Burrows at email@example.com or call 416-464-6856.
We thank all those that apply for the position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.