New Search--Baywood Homes--Controller
With over 25 years of building experience, Baywood Homes has established itself as an award - winning, innovative builder. Having been recognized by industry associations such as the Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD - formerly the Greater Toronto Home Builders Association), Ontario Home Builders Association (OHBA), Canadian Home Builders Association (CHBA) and most recently, having received a design award for the Bohemian Embassy high - rise project on Queen Street West at the Hospitality Design Awards in New York, Baywood Homes continues to build on a solid foundation of excellence.
Baywood has designed a number of master - planned communities throughout Ontario that combine detached family homes, medium density housing and high-rise components. Working with award-winning architects and urban designers, Baywood has planned and built highly acclaimed and anticipated communities across the province.
As a longstanding excellence-rated member of Tarion, Baywood Homes continues to be a leader in construction standards, purchaser and employee satisfaction. By ensuring that quality controls are maintained throughout all development stages, from land acquisition and assembly, to the development, design, construction and after sales service, we guarantee you will be proud to call your house a Baywood home. A testament to our commitment to quality craftsmanship is the large number of purchasers that are referred to us from current Baywood Homeowners, for us there is no greater compliment than to have our homeowners trust in our commitment to quality homes.
The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
The controller has one direct support staff member to handle day-to-day processing of all corporate and project related invoices, leaving the controller in the role of both managing and building an accounting department while also processing some of the bookkeeping.
With over 3000+ units scheduled to be built in the next decade, Baywood is looking for an energized, team player who can build and grow with the finance department as the volume of projects increases. This is an exciting opportunity in the burgeoning real-estate sector with an organization at the forefront of home and condo development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Hire, train and supervise accounting clerks who report directly to you, as deemed appropriate
- Work closely with third party lenders, financiers, and intermediaries to ensure individual projects and company is well capitalized
- Ensure that all corporate and project accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Analyze cash receipts and prepare banking deposits
- Set up new sales and maintain and update lot files in the accounting system
- Reconcile purchasers' deposit accounts with solicitors trust account
- Approve and record closing statement of adjustments
- Maintain weekly sales/closing summary reports and liaise with site offices
- Reconcile inter-company loan accounts
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Prepare monthly journal entries and job cost entries
- Oversee purchase order entry system
- Analyze and audit construction, work in progress, and other project costs
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Prepare monthly draw reports to project lenders, and cost monitors
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Ensure the production of the annual corporate budget and cash flow forecasts, and update monthly
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- If requested provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for investment decisions, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Assist in the creation and implementation of a management information system for internal reporting purposes
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with provincial and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, and 10+ years of experience in the home building industry. Preference will be given to candidates with the CA, CGA or CMA designations and those that have experience as a controller in the housing industry. Experience utilizing QuickBooks and Constellation Home Builder Systems accounting packages is essential.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Supervises: All accounting staff
Salary: $90,000 – $110,000; commensurate with experience
To explore this opportunity further, please contact Larry Sartor, Sartor & Associates Inc. Talent Recruitment Solutions at 416-464-6856 or email your resume in confidence to email@example.com