Brantford Power - Communications Specialist
Our client serves approximately 39,300 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the City of Brantford and has been providing electricity distribution since 1935. They are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to their customers while offering the best energy and conservation solutions and superior customer service.
Brantford Power’s strategic focus is on building sustainable communities while making continual improvements and investments across all aspects of its business including employee and community customer responsive customer service; and conservation programs. The utility is wholly owned by the Brantford Energy Corporation.
Brantford Power is governed by a Board of Directors that has ultimate accountability for the overall direction and results of the Corporation. The board oversees the conduct of the business and the performance of management who are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the business.
Reporting to the Vice President of Customer Service and Conservation, and working collaboratively with the senior leadership team, the Communications Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of Brantford Power’s internal and external communications and outreach strategies, both at the conceptual and tactical levels. He/she is responsible for using innovative communication tools, including web-based and social media platforms, to promote and expand the reach and impact of internal and external communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience and safeguarding the company’s reputation. With frequent exposure to privileged and sensitive company material and customer information, the incumbent will be expected to maintain confidentiality while performing all duties.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead responsibility for all internal and external communications initiatives.
- Develop and maintain an annual operating budget to support internal and external communications.
- Conceptualize, design and produce visually appealing and logical content for internal and external communication.
- Lead corporate website, billing portal and intranet development and maintenance from concept to final product.
- Support senior leadership with timely research and develop presentations, briefing notes, press releases, media kits and standby statements, FAQs and positioning statements for corporate issues.
- Create and deliver presentations, website and social media campaign copy, annual reports, publication and advertising copy, and letters.
- Create and maintain a Social Media Policy and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Monitor and ensure a positive brand and social media presence.
- Perform quality control of all content by conducting substantive edits, copy editing and proofreading to ensure accuracy, consistency and tone of message.
- Oversee the production of customer-facing notifications and messaging including public notices, bill messages, buck slips, inserts and special mailings.
- Liaise and collaborate with employee groups and cross-functional teams as needed and help provide creative solutions to communication problems.
- Manage day-to-day media relations/media requests for brand and corporate issues.
- Create a customer and community outreach calendar, and devise tactics to execute activities in alignment with corporate values and priorities.
- Implement and maintain a Major Issues Response Plan in support of emergency preparedness, contingency operations and business continuity.
- Support senior leadership with the public relations aspects of crisis management and business interruptions.
- Build relationships with key media contacts and identify opportunities to proactively promote corporate stories to media as appropriate.
- Secure external resources to support communication activities as required, and manage third-party agreements and vendor relationships to ensure standards and quality are met.
- Provide guidance and direction to third party partners and review all materials to ensure communication is accurate, relevant and consistent with the Brantford Power brand and overall corporate messaging and positions.
- Plan, negotiate and execute logistics for corporate events, conferences and sponsorship.
- Support the promotion of public safety and conservation initiatives and outreach programs.
- Conduct industry research to better understand emerging trends and concepts.
- Prepare and analyze monthly Google Analytics reports for all corporate websites.
- Prepare reports on the impact and effectiveness of communication strategies, including post-activity event evaluations.
COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline.
- Strong working knowledge of communication principles and practices.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a communications and/or public relations role is required; experience in utility sector considered an asset.
- Management experience preferred.
- Must possess excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Advanced skills in MS Office, content management and web development software, social media platforms and monitoring applications.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced, often pressured environment and see a project through to completion.
- Must have the ability to be an influential communications consultant within the organization.
- Must be capable of maintaining confidentiality.
- The ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees is essential.
- Membership or participation in professional associations related to communications and/or the utility sector is desired.
To explore this opportunity further, please contact Larry Sartor, Sartor & Associates Inc. at 416-464-6856 or email your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brantford Power is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all those that apply for the position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.