Brantford Power - Senior Engineering Manager
Our client serves approximately 39,300 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the City of Brantford and has been providing electricity distribution since 1935. They are committed to delivering safe, efficient and reliable electricity to their customers while offering the best energy and conservation solutions and superior customer service.
Brantford Power’s strategic focus is on building sustainable communities while making continual improvements and investments across all aspects of its business including employee and community customer responsive customer service; and conservation programs. The utility is wholly owned by the Brantford Energy Corporation.
Brantford Power is governed by a Board of Directors that has ultimate accountability for the overall direction and results of the Corporation. The board oversees the conduct of the business and the performance of management who are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the business.
The Senior Engineering Manager is responsible for the management, operation, and administration of the Engineering Department.
This position will direct, develop and enhance the utility’s capital investment program in its electrical distribution network through the development of decision making models that optimize customer and shareholder value by prioritizing risk, value, regulatory and government requirements, financial, and service quality targets consistent with corporate strategies while ensuring a safe, efficient and reliable supply of electricity.
The Senior Engineering Manager has responsibility for monitoring, implementing and updating the Distribution System Plan and programs to ensure that they are delivered on time and on budget through appropriate planning, design and direction, as well as contributing to the development and implementation of operational improvement initiatives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support, establish and implement the utility’s strategic plan (policies, standards, practices and technology) by assessing emerging technologies, process improvements and industry trends to improve performance and reliability; reduce costs; and introduce efficiency improvements.
- Drive strategic direction and set challenging objectives for the Engineering department to promote an environment of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Lead and support management, technical staff and third party service providers engaged in the day-to-day customer coordination, design, planning, and facilitating the construction of the distribution network in cooperation with the Operating department.
- Continuous improvement of the utility’s asset management plan incorporating asset life cycle cost considerations and network designs to support utility strategies and to enhance customer benefits.
- Continuously improve the management system to ensure compliance with electricity safety regulations O.Reg. 22/04 within the utility.
- Prepare and manage the Engineering Department annual business plan and budget. Monitor budget, costs, identify and execute process and improvement opportunities. Act as key contributor to the utility’s Distribution System Plan.
- Responsible for the management of network asset and related databases and software applications.
- Ensure compliance with and revise departmental practices and procedures when needed and communicate changes to employees while adhering to current corporate policies.
- Contribute to the Operating, SCADA and Customer Services departments to support a 24/7 operation to achieve daily work programs, network switching, effective restoration and emergency support to work groups and the public.
- Advise and support the Operating department detailing line and station maintenance requirements for inclusion in operating budgets.
- Responsible for the management of direct reports including: recruitment, scheduling and performance management in accordance with budgetary objectives, collective agreements and personnel policies. Ensure staff receives the appropriate feedback, training and development to succeed
- Develop and maintain cross-functional relationships to ensure overall success of operational and corporate initiatives.
- Support the utility’s Health and Safety management system, initiatives and programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Strategic and Planning
- Keep abreast of industry and regulatory changes; provide analysis on the impact to the utility; ensure compliance for areas of responsibility and provide proactive identification of business development opportunities for the utility and/or its affiliates.
- Ensure work that is designed and constructed on behalf of the utility is done so using appropriate technology and in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Drive change management initiatives to streamline and improve efficiencies regarding business process and system improvements and lead the Engineering department and other related departments in the implementation of best practices.
- Provide technical and business leadership to the Engineering department and to the organization overall. Act as a key representative for the utility with stakeholder communications as required and respond promptly to escalated customer or stakeholder concerns
- Prepare and monitor Engineering department operating budgets and business plans.
- Development of capital works programs and preparation of capital budgets for Distribution System Plan and activities. Provide key input to the development of general plant activities as they relate to Engineering department software and systems.
- Work collaboratively with Operating and other departments to maximize the utility’s ability to meet key performance targets while improving operating efficiencies.
- Develop and enact contingency plans during emergency situations as required.
- Assist in the annual review of the utility’s Emergency Management Plan and participate in emergency response activities and exercises. As a member of the leadership team for the utility availability for Emergency response may be required.
- Promote and participate in the Company’s Health and Safety program through implementing safe work practices, following up on safety incidents and hazard identification and by reinforcing safe work attitudes.
- Responsible for the design and completion of construction drawings related to distribution system construction, new service connections, new subdivisions and other system capital improvements.
- Manage and control the implementation of major projects and programs.
- Responsible for the maintenance and development of the utility’s system design standards and construction assembly units.
- Make equipment and system operation recommendations based on engineering principles, research, operating experience and data analysis.
- Responsible for contract administration in the course of carrying out capital project works.
- Develop and manage the asset management program for the utility distribution system and the utility assets.
- Oversee the development, operation and maintenance of various computer systems and engineering tools. (Drive process improvement and introduction of new technology to achieve operational excellence.
- Make recommendations in the management and operation of operating departments by collecting, analyzing and organizing data, operation procedures and maintenance scheduling.
- Perform various project-oriented work as required.
COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
A Professional Engineer with demonstrated growth over 7 years of experience with demonstrated ability in the following competencies:
- Inspiring others to achieve
- Embracing and promoting change
- Macro business understanding and strategic thinking
- Broad communication and promoting engagement
A consensus builder and communicator with already established credibility as a pro-active and experienced leader who has gained the respect of employees in a unionized environment, and has strong people skills.
A thoughtful and technically competent listener and leader, who understands the operations side of an increasingly technically complex industry while recognizing the need to deliver the corporation’s objectives within approved business plans and budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and professional membership with the PEO in good standing, or recognized equivalent.
- At least 7 years of leadership experience at a senior leadership level.
- A commitment to leadership development, employee empowerment, inspiring a shared vision.
- Demonstrated ability to execute strategic plans and successfully implement change.
- Knowledge of regulatory and governmental requirements (OEB Rules and Regulations, ESA, PIPEDA and OHSA, IH&SA Rules, WHMIS).
- Advanced knowledge of technical specifications and standards (CSA, CEA and ESA).
- Superior presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills and flexibility to meet changing needs of the organization.
- Must hold and maintain a valid class G driver’s licence.
- Demonstrated experience in a unionized environment is an asset.
- Experience in a multi-service utility environment particularly with planning, design and managing operating groups an asset.