New Search--Whitby Hydro--Manager Engineering Services
WHITBY HYDRO ENERGY SERVICES CORPORATION
MANAGER ENGINEERING SERVICES
Whitby Hydro Energy Services Corporation is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario east of Toronto in the heart of Durham Region We provide Energy Consulting Services to Industrial and Commercial users in Ontario and throughout North America.
Reports to the Vice President of Engineering, this position shall be responsible for supervising and managing the Engineering Department.
- Professional designation in Engineering (P.Eng.)
- 10-15 years of related work experience including Engineering, Supervision and Management.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and computer skills.
- Working knowledge of construction practices and standards applicable to utility, industrial, commercial and residential projects.
- A minimum of seven years of related design and construction management experience in electric utilities is required.
- A minimum of five years of staff management experience within a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and work co-operatively and harmoniously as part of a professional multi-disciplinary team.
- Working Knowledge of Ontario Reg. 22/04, utility Conditions of Service and Ontario Energy Board Distribution System Code.
- Business acumen capable of developing new business opportunities.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, high ethical and quality standards.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
STRATEGY AND PLANNING
- Provide technical and business leadership to the Engineering services team and the organization overall.
- Oversee all engineering related programs and services; manage and supervise the work activities of other staff within the Engineering department.
- Drive change management initiatives to streamline and improve efficiencies regarding business process and system improvements and lead the department and other related departments in the implementation of best practices.
- Work collaboratively with operating and support departments to maximize the Electric Utility’s ability to meet performance level targets while improving operating efficiencies.
- Participate in system planning and budgetary processes.
- Prepare estimates and forecasts for annual capital budget.
- Recommend policy changes as it pertains to Engineering Practices and advise on any cost saving alternatives.
- Responsible for the design and completion of construction drawings related to electric line construction, new service connections, new subdivisions and other system capital improvements.
- Certify drawings, specifications and other documents as a Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Consult and liaise with individuals, manufacturing representatives, contractors, architects, consulting engineers, developers and other utilities, in the negotiation of electrical power supply to properties or other capital projects.
- Perform or assist with system analysis (i.e. calculation of short circuit values, voltage drop and coordination of protective devices).
- Assessment and review of construction drawings and various private and external utility designs.
- Prepare and review drawings and associated documents and issue work orders for construction activities as required.
- Prepare and review material lists to facilitate material ordering and allocation.
- Administer and assess tender processes and responses and make recommendations on awarding of contracts for various types of work.
- Make site visits and liaise with construction forces.
- Responsible for the management of direct reports and department staff including; recruitment, scheduling and performance management in accordance with budgetary objectives, collective agreements and personnel policies. Ensure staff receives the appropriate feedback, training and development to succeed.
- Respond promptly to elevated customer concerns.
- Promote and participate in the Company’s Health and Safety program through implementing safe work practices, following up on safety incidents and hazard identification and by reinforcing safe work attitudes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Sound judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Positive, cooperative attitude
- Honesty, patience and tolerance
- Strong initiative, self-motivated
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Flexible, approachable and a dedicated team player.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Must participate in safety training and be knowledgeable of Corporate safety rules and practices and must implement safe work procedures that ensure the safety of the Company's, employees and customers.