Director, Engineering Services NPEI
NIAGARA PENINSULA ENERGY INC.
DIRECTOR, ENGINEERING SERVICES
This position reports to the Vice President, Engineering and is responsible to provide strategic direction to Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc by increasing its use of digital information and controls technology, optimization of grid operation and resources, deploy and integrate smart technologies, recommend distribution automation and oversee distribution. In addition, this position is also responsible for FIT and MICRO FIT renewable generation project integration. Furthermore, the Director of Engineering Services is responsible for developing and enhancing the asset management/distribution system as well as developing enhanced work order Management services.
- Assists the Vice President, Engineering in the preparation of the capital budget for the distribution system. Oversees project budgets and scheduling and reconciles project accounting costs.
- Oversees and directs the delivery of engineering designs, estimates, layouts, inspection and documentation to support operational and engineering processes for the construction of electrical distribution plant according to the capital budget and customer demand requirements by planning, organizing and directing the work of staff.
- Provides direction for the construction of the utility’s overhead and underground electrical distribution system in accordance with the standards, policies and regulations adopted by the corporation.
- Liaises with municipal authorities, other utilities, organizations, contractors, consultants and customers to co-ordinate work and provide technical direction and assistance as required.
- Supervises the Engineering Department’s Occupational Health & Safety initiatives by supporting and communicating OHS policies and procedures.
- Ensures that employees are aware of their individual responsibilities under the OH&SA, responds to safety issues/concerns and ensures reporting of all accidents, injuries and incidents in a timely manner.
- Provides training as required and investigates reports and records all accidents, injuries and incidents.
Provision of Expert Advice
- Counsels and confers with the Vice President, Engineering and the Engineering Services Manager on the day-to-day business of the department as it relates to matters that may have some effect on the organization.
- Supervises staff within the department in order to plan, organize and follow up on assigned work.
- Ensures that staff within the department receives the required training to complete all assigned tasks in a competent, efficient and timely manner.
- Conducts annual performance reviews on staff within the department.
- Participates in interviews of prospective employees and makes recommendations to hire.
- Administers all appropriate sections of the collective agreement and represents management in grievance resolution.
- Distribution System Engineer
- Senior Engineering Technicians
- Engineering Technicians
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex problems, adapt to new and rapidly changing situations, plan and organize the affairs of the department in alignment with the corporate goals and the willingness to accept responsibility and make decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct, motivate and mentor staff, deal with stakeholders in a courteous and tactful manner and use advanced written and verbal communications to influence others.
- Advanced skills in the use of computer software programs for information management, design and drafting, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications, as well as financial accounting and work management.
- University Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Professional Engineer designation is a requirement.
- Advanced knowledge of the design requirements for the distribution system.
- Advanced understanding of management philosophies, techniques and problem-solving methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the corporation’s work protection code (Occupational Health and Safety requirements), the E&USA rules, ESA Distribution Safety Regulations, and related codes and regulations.
- Progressive experience in an electrical utility or related environment is preferred.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in this opportunity, please send your resume in confidence to Larry Sartor, Sartor & Associates Talent Recruitment Solutions, email@example.com