Manager, Systems Projects and Business Applications - Brantford Power
Reporting to CFO and Vice President of Corporate Services, the Manager, System Projects and Business Applications, is responsible for the design; implementation oversight and management of Brantford Power’s IT function and the corporate-wide information technology projects through an entire project life cycle from inception through implementation. The Manager, Systems Projects and Business Applications is also responsible for maintaining, supporting, and upgrading existing systems and applications. This role applies proven leadership; project management, communication, and problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices to guide leadership and operational teams on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of information and software systems as they align with Brantford Power Inc.’s and Affiliate companies business strategies and objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Key End Results
- Manage and provide direction for the design and implementation of immediate and future IT functionality in support of business operations. Act as key advisor on general operation IT matters.
- Provide leadership, direction and project management to the business and its leadership team in the areas of system integration and implementation systems projects.
- Provide technical leadership for ongoing monitoring and operations management of IT environment.
- Provide technical leadership to project managers; testers and programmers working on development project teams.
- Establish and manage strategies, guidelines, procedures, and standards to ensure effective ongoing support of Daffron, Brantford Power’s billing and customer information system.
- Manage and support system implementation phase of key projects specifically, E-Billing, F.I.S. and C.I.S.
- Manage testing personnel and establish training; development; testing protocols; scripts and scenarios.
- Manage the relationship with the City of Brantford IT Department to ensure that application development projects meet both current and future business requirements and goals, and fulfill end-user requirement.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Coordinate feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings.
- Lead testing phase of development by evaluating proposals in order to identify potential problem areas, and make the appropriate recommendations.
- Manage the development, integration and deployment of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Manage relationships and project plan compliance with analysts, designers, vendors, and system owners in the testing of new software programs and applications
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Identify and resolve systems issues.
- Develop strategies for improving or leveraging existing applications.
- Review and analyze existing application effectiveness and efficiency.
- Design, develop, and install enhancements and upgrades to systems and application software.
- Develop, disseminate, implement and enforce functional policies, procedures, and quality assurance best practices.
- Prepare, establish, and monitor budgets where necessary.
- Maintain software version control by developing Change Management Software practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety
- Supports and participates in corporate Health and Safety initiatives and programs.
- Ensures that Health and Safety requirements are met by planning, organizing and participating in regular Health and Safety meetings.
- Reports any unsafe work conditions and contraventions to the OH&S Act, Regulations and Corporate policies and procedures.
- Participates in risk assessment and incident investigation initiatives.
- Uses and wears the correct protective clothing and use safety equipment and devices as required.
- Corporate policies and procedures
- Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Affiliate Relationship Code
- Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
- Brantford Power Collective Agreements
- University degree or College diploma in Computer Science or Business Administration
- 2- 3 years of IT Management experience is an asset.
- 5-7 years direct experience in software development and/or programming design and systems management.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions.
- Direct, hands-on experience with automated software and system management tools.
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Extensive experience with core software applications.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and documenting technical specifications and business requirements
- Strong project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures, project lifecycle models, etc.
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of database design and file management techniques.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems.
- Working knowledge of network hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Please note this is a 2-year contract position with the potential for full-time afterwards.
To apply, send your resume in confidence to Larry Sartor at larry@sartorandassociates,com or call 416-464-6856